ADSM-L

Re: IBM quote

2002-09-19 17:32:32
Subject: Re: IBM quote
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:24:46 -0500
>From my crude understanding that could be WAY off, is that full retail cost
of a point is about $32USD (and is probably different, so YMMV).  Most
people get a discount of some type if you go through a VAR or have some
other reason (like IBM wants to make a sale).

Basically, points are used as a way to price.  And the discount come rather
than wrangling about components you get for 'free', you wrangle about the
cost
per 'point'.

So everyone must purchase so many points.  Just what you pay for them is up
for discussion.

Just another way to slice the same pie.  Confusing? yep.  But pricing of
most other things is confusing too.

What gripes me is that you enter license by number of this and that you are
license for, and not just here are x points, use them till they are up.
There isn't
even a easy standard way to audit to say 'go buy xxx more points', or 'you
have
x points, y points are consumed, z points are not in current use'

Such is life.