ADSM-L

Re: Backup reporting

2002-09-18 16:03:05
Subject: Re: Backup reporting
From: "Mr. Lindsay Morris" <lmorris AT SERVERGRAPH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:45:39 -0400
In developing Servergraph/TSM, we've tried various techniques to see bytes
transferred.
The summary table has been unreliable;
The "ANE49xx" messages from the client that appear in the activity log have
been unreliable;
but the accounting log HAS been reliable.

One gotcha is that the total bytes field apparently includes overhead.
That is to say, there are six bytes-trasmitted fields in the accounting log
record:
        KB backed-up
        KB restored
        KB archived
        KB retrieved
        KB HSM-migrated
        KB HSM-recalled
and then there's a seventh field, total KB transferred.

The seventh total-bytes field is always MORE than the sum of the first six.
What's the difference?

I'd ask Andy, but we think it's
        TSM server sending the metadata down to the client before backup starts,
and/or
        files being retransmitted because the client detected that they changed
during backup.

Our current graphs show this quantity over time, averaged across all nodes.
It typically runs 10-40% over time.
Does this really mean that there's 10-40% wasted network traffic?
And could this go down (making a site more efficient) if the site used
Journal-based backup?

Mr. Lindsay Morris
Lead Architect, Servergraph
859-253-8000 ofc