ADSM-L

Re: Restore NT4 on difference machine

2002-09-18 06:12:35
Subject: Re: Restore NT4 on difference machine
From: Christian Bagard <christian.bagard AT WANADOO DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:17:32 +0200
Hello,

We use the following process  :
  1.. Install system NT with Microsoft CDRom on another disk than C: Then
install the service pack.
  2.. Copy " boot.ini ", which is on C:, in " boot.bck ".
  3.. Install on the same disk TSM client. Customize TSM client with the
same name than the one to restore.
  4.. Launch GUI of TSM client and select all C: and restore.
  5.. With Edit (wordpad, etc.) open the file boot.ini restored.
  6.. Copy at the end of this file the content of boot.bck.
  boot.ini contains now two adresses of boot : the one of the restored
system (which doesn't work yet) and the one of the installed system (which
is working).
  7.. Then copy two other files from the installed system to the restored
system :
  WINNT/SYSTEM32/HAL.DLL

  WINNT/SYSTEM32/NTOSKRNL

  8.. Reboot the server on the restored NT system.
  9.. Relaunch GUI of client TSM and ask for a restoration of the registry
base with selecting "system object".
  10.. Reboot the server on the restored NT system.
  11.. Verify  that it works fine.
  12.. When restore of C: is OK, it's possible to delete NT system on the
other disk. Then modify boot.ini to delete the boot address of the installed
NT system.
  13.. Restore the other disks with the GUI TSM client.
 I hope it will help !

Christian Bagard
SOS-Restore (France)