ADSM-L

Re: DLT's and LTO's

2002-09-17 10:00:14
Subject: Re: DLT's and LTO's
From: Richard Stratton <rstratton AT INFLOW DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 07:46:15 -0600
Rikk,

        Physical tape drives get assigned a device type, which I think is
determined by the device driver for the drive. TSM has the concept of device
classes where each device class specifies the unique characteristics of that
class. So on our servers, we have physical drives that are device type LTO.
We have a device class called LTOCLASS. One of the parameters of the
LTOCLASS is device type, which is set to LTO.
        When you create a sequential access storage pool, one of the
parameters is what device class the storage pool will use. So, when we
create a sequential access storage pool that uses the LTOCLASS device class,
this indirectly specifies the LTO tape drives.
        In your environment, it sounds like you will have 9 drives. 7 of
them will be of device type LTO and 2 of them will be device type DLT. You
will need to define a device class for each type of drive - the DLT device
class probably already exists. You will then have to create two (or more,
depending on your needs) sequential access storage pools. 1 of the storage
pools will point to the device class DLT (these probably already exist) and
the other will point to the device class LTO.
        Since another parameter of the physical drive definition is what
library the drive belongs to, this is how a single tape library can
support/use multiple media types.
        I probably did a bad job of explaining this, but if you look in the
TSM Administrators Guide, the chapter on "Managing Drives and Libraries"
does a much better job of explaining the physical/logical relationship
between drives/libraries/device-classes/storagepools/volumes.
        Hope this helps.

Rick Stratton
Storage Services Engineer, Inflow
Desk-303-942-2819