ADSM-L

Re: question regarding Apple Macintosh client

2002-09-16 17:06:46
Subject: Re: question regarding Apple Macintosh client
From: Jonathan Siegle <jsiegle AT PSU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:06:27 -0400
On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Mark Stapleton wrote:

> From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
> Remco Post
> > > Two gotchas with the Mac OS X client:
> > > 1. Filenames longer than 32 characters will not back up.
> >
> > Without any report from the client that they have been skipped. Also,
> > they cannot be archived or seen in the selection list for archiving....
> > Even worse is that Tivoli obviously thinks this is a wad, since they
> > have not shown any effort in fixing this.
>
> Incorrect. An entry is made in the error log.
I haven't seen this behavior. If I have this file:
-rw-r--r--  1 jonathan  staff  11 Jul 15 16:22
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.abcefghijklmnop

in my users directory, should I see an error when I run a backup? I don't
see an error from the GUI. This is supposed to be fixed in 5.1.5 next
month..

> > > 2. For the scheduler to work, a root-equivalent account must be logged
> > > into
> > > the client.
> >
> > I have not seen the scheduler work even while I was logged in. Stopped
> > trying after a few days. Know to Tivoli from day one and still
> > unfixed :-(
>
> I got it to work just fine. I wasn't crazy about keeping root logged in all
> the time, locked screensaver or not, however.
>
> --
> Mark Stapleton (stapleton AT berbee DOT com)
> Certified TSM consultant
> Certified AIX system engineer
> MCSE

Jonathan Siegle                 Academic Services and Emerging Technologies
jsiegle AT psu DOT edu                 Penn State University
                                University Park, Pa 16802