ADSM-L

Re: New and probably a simple question....

2002-09-16 01:13:47
Subject: Re: New and probably a simple question....
From: "Chetan H. Ravnikar" <Chetan.Ravnikar AT SYNOPSYS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 22:13:08 -0700
Micheal

here is what I do, I have about close to 55 filers and I could not afford
TDP for NDMP and also that my TSM servers are running 4.2.20

What I have down here works only it you have an NIS enviroment

1. I force a snapshot manually on all the filers at the volume leve from
    admin host nightly (over writes the previous one)
2. export the snapshot via NIS as a remote map (say auto.nacbkp)
   ex:- /nacbkup/<filername>.<vol-name>.tsm.nightly0
3. Use proxy TSM clients to mount the above NIS maps via CRON and then
   send the data over the network on to the media server (TSM)

Now that I have nearly 100 volumes puttogether, I distribute the load on 4
to 5 proxy TSM clients.

If you need I can send your the shell scritps on how this is done

hope this helps. BTW I also read that the TDP for NDMP is only supported
on TSM 5.1 and also does support for filers with direct attached tape-libs

Cheers..