ADSM-L

Re: NetWare DOS partition backup

2002-09-14 11:40:55
Subject: Re: NetWare DOS partition backup
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 10:33:08 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Jin Bae Chi
> Recently several network servers got broken and network admins spent a
> lot of time doing bare metal restores. They started to ask me if TSM can
> backup and restore Netware DOS partition (especially using backup sets
> from DVD-ROM). Does anyone know if TSM supports backup and restore of
> Netware DOS partition? If so, how to? Thanks for your help.

You have a chicken-and-egg problem. You can't restore the NetWare DOS
partition until you have the TSM client installed, and you can't install the
TSM client until NetWare is installed, and you can't install NetWare until
the DOS partition is built. And you can't do a local restore of a NetWare
backupset tape, because there is no way (I'm almost certain) to mount a tape
drive on a NetWare box.

I think the SYSTEM-SPECIFIC INFO filespace created every time a NetWare
backup is done contains any non-default DOS partition data.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE