ADSM-L

Re: TSM OS390 server finalized "maintenance"

2002-09-13 18:27:17
Subject: Re: TSM OS390 server finalized "maintenance"
From: "William F. Colwell" <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:55:23 -0400
Brian, Zoltan,

I was on 4.2.1.9 for a long time (6 months?), waiting for 4.2.2.* to
be good enough.  I finally upgraded to 4.2.2.10 and the server is running ok.
Not perfect though, I have some byte=0 in the summary table still
even though the readme says an apar is included to fix it.

If you must get off 4.2.1.*, 4.2.2.10 is a good spot.

5.* is a problem because of the licensing change (client go from
$2/month to $5).

Hope this helps,

Bill

At 12:25 PM 9/13/2002, you wrote:
>Right. Be careful. We went from 4.1 to 4.2 on OS/390 2.10 and we began to
>have intermittent abends. We were then were told to move to 4.2.1.15 which
>we did the abends were resolved but TSM server performance was so poor that
>we could not complete our nightly backups. We backed out of the 4.2.1.15
>fixtest to the 4.2.1.0 maintenance level and then went to 4.2.1.9 which is
>where we are currently. While the support staff was helpful I do not feel
>confident moving to TSM 5.1 especially since the current TSM server release
>is 5.1.1 and we were told to upgrade to 5.1.1 then apply the "fixtest"
>emphasis on "test" to bring the server up to 5.1.1.4. Yikes!! lets get
>stable here folks.
>
>- Brian
>
>Brian L. Nick
>Systems Technician - Storage Solutions
>The Phoenix Companies Inc.
>100 Bright Meadow Blvd
>Enfield CT. 06082-1900
>
>E-MAIL:  Brian.Nick AT phoenixwm DOT com
>PHONE:   (860)403-2281
>

>                      "Zoltan
>                      Forray/AC/VCU"           To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
> DOT EDU
>                      <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU         cc:
>                      >                        Subject:  TSM OS390 server
> finalized "maintenance"
>                      Sent by: "ADSM:
>                      Dist Stor
>                      Manager"
>                      <[email protected]
>                      T.EDU>
>

>                      09/13/02 12:08
>                      PM
>                      Please respond
>                      to "ADSM: Dist
>                      Stor Manager"
>

>Any idea when the TSM OS390 server "fixes" will become maintenance not
>patches, for the 4.2.2 level ?  I see a recent 4.2.2.12 level as a patch
>but not as maintenance.
>
>I am getting concerned since the 4.1 level of TSM server goes unsupported
>as of the end of September !  I really want to move up to 4.2 by then but
>keep seeing more fixes/patches !

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge Ma.