ADSM-L

Re: Gigabit performance with Win2K

2002-09-12 05:07:27
Subject: Re: Gigabit performance with Win2K
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:10:20 +0200
Hello,

to check the highest possible level
of the improvement through upgrade to Gigabit
you may want to check what the maximal backup/restore speed of your TSM
w i t h o u t  influence of network cable is:

install tsm client locally on TSM server,
configure it for tcpip connection
create test directory on an extra disk
(not the one with either database, logfile or storage pools used)
and perform backup/restore.
The transfer rates you will see will be similar
to network backup with cabling of unlimited speed
(not exactly, of course, because the client and server share same CPU´s and
other ressources in this test).

If the results you will receive are 10x better compared to your current
backup over network,
which I strongly doubt, buy a good and expensive gigabit network card.
The cheap ones are gigabit compatible, but will never exploit the bandwidth.

regards
Juraj