ADSM-L

Re: TSM Scheduler remains "STARTED"

2002-09-06 08:57:14
Subject: Re: TSM Scheduler remains "STARTED"
From: Chris Murphy <cmurphy AT IDL.STATE.ID DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 06:57:35 -0600
Hi Karen,

Yes, we have seen this but on a different version.  We are running 5.1.1 on
Windows 2000 SP2.  Clients are also 5.1.1 on Windows SP2 and NT4 SP6a.  The
NT clients never seem to have this problem for us, but the W2k ones do so on
a fairly frequent basis.  (i.e. couple times a month or so)  Also in our
case, though the service says "started", the backup stops at some random
point mid-way through the process as if hung.  I am curious to see if anyone
has seen/fix for this...

The act of it starting back up and outside the window, as I understand it,
is by design.  The window (or duration as its called) only specifies the
time inside which the backup must start.  If started within that time, it
will run to completion regardless of how long it takes, unless you cancel it
of course.  I think what happens is the server believes this to be a backup
still "in progress" and restarts it when it sees the clients' service stop.
If I am incorrect, I am certain someone in this fine group will let me know!

Chris Murphy
IT Network Analyst
ID Dept. of Lands
(208) 334-0293