ADSM-L

Re: Restore Performance.

2002-08-30 09:22:42
Subject: Re: Restore Performance.
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 07:12:35 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Cahill, Ricky
> Doing restores from the collocated primay pools I'm getting 10gb an hour.
> From a non collocated pool (offsite) I'm getting about 5-7gb an hour.
>
> Has anyone got any figures on restores using DLT7000's as we're going
> through the process of doing DR and having to
> restore 7 Netware servers with 1.4tb at the above speeds is going to be
> painful.
>
> PS...ANy hints and tips on doing large restores and how to speed them up
> greatly apreciated as well ;)

You're fighting an uphill battle on two different fronts. DLTs are
relatively slow tapes in terms of throughput, and they are devilishly slow
on mounts and dismounts. *AND* NetWare's TSA module (which waves the baton
for backups and restores) has never been known for promoting fast backups or
restores. (What level of NetWare and TSA/SMDR modules are you at?)

Suggestions:
1. Don't collocate your offsite pools--just your primary pools. Collocated
offsite pools don't buy you much, because your chances of needing them as
small.

2. Upgrade to server version 5.1.1. This will allow you to run MOVE NODEDATA
on your non-collocated pools prior to disaster testing. You can run it by
client, or by client filespace. Version 5.1.1 will also allow for
multithreaded restores.

3. Do the LTO upgrade. Greater capacity (fewer tapes in collocated storage
pools), much faster mounts, and faster throughput are all benefits of such a
move.

4. Use the DIRMC option. Sending directory structures to a disk-based pool
makes restore somewhat faster. (How to do so is a lengthy discussion; Read
The Fine Manual.)

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE