ADSM-L

Re: Exchange bases ...

2002-08-29 21:08:14
Subject: Re: Exchange bases ...
From: Arni Eggertsson <arnie AT GORMUR DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:35:03 +0000
Hi

Apparently Tivoli decided to use the Microsoft API to backup the Exchange
database,  this is done to be able to do a "consistant" backup of the database.

Some backup programs provide you with a way to do a "brick level" backup, that
is each mailbox at a time.  These backups take a very long time to complete
since the backup program has login to each mailbox, and copy it, also backups
tend to increase in size, this is because MS Exchange uses SIS (Single Instance
Storage) and that obviously does not work during a brick level backup/restore.
Also restores would be hell and take ages even if you would be able to fit it
on your storage subsystem due to the issue with SIS.

My experience is that you should use Retain deleted items option and not be shy
about having it 30+ days.  (for mor info check your Microsoft documentation or
technet).

For archiving users you should move their mail items to a .PST file and
backup/archive the normal way.

best regards,
Arni Snorri Eggertsson