ADSM-L

Help on TSM Policy Design

2002-08-29 05:25:42
Subject: Help on TSM Policy Design
From: Senthil Odaiyappan <SOdaiyappan AT INAUTIX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:12:56 +0530
Hi all,
Iam few problem with TSM setup i have right now.

The current setup is  --> TSM Server (4.1.3.0 ) running on NT4.0 SP6a.
LTO library (3583 L18)  is connected through SCSI interface.
Currently I'am backing up 24 (NT and Solaris clients) total of 500 GB
client data
I have configure 3 policy domains
one for Notes mail server(Retention 4+1) and another for NT
servers(Retention 2+1) and another for Sun Solaris (Retention 2+1).

The requirement given for data retention is current +2 for all clients and
for Notes 4+1
All this works fine
But when it comes to Weekly and monthly backup i face trouble. As per the
policy we need to retain the weekly (Sunday ) backup for one month and
Monthly Backup (last Sunday of the month) For an year.
To archive this I'am archiving the all client data in to archive pool. This
increases my TSM database size dramatically. and managing the tape volume
is also not easy.

Is there any better way of doing it?. (with out DRM).
Can any of u suggest an better way ?.

Regards
O.Senthil
System Administrator