ADSM-L

Re: Rationalise policy domains

2002-08-28 15:06:21
Subject: Re: Rationalise policy domains
From: Jim Kirkman <jmk AT EMAIL.UNC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:29:25 -0400
John,

My understanding is that if you are using the managedservices (or cadmode
depending
on client version) option for scheduling then changes in schedules are picked
up by
the dsmcad and restarts are no longer required. If, on the other hand you are
just
using the scheduler service then restarts probably are required.

Jim

John Naylor wrote:

> Historically I have a number of policy domains based on client os.
> Well it seemed a good idea at the time.
> My question is I now want to rationalise all the policy domains into say two,
> but with the least disruption or work at client level(none if possible)
> My main concern is that I will lose all the schedules and their associations,
> and that I will need on netware for example to reload the scheduler on the
> client to pick
> up the new schedule information.
> I think I may also need to stop/ start the scheduler for nt clients
> Am I correct in these beliefs?
> I know that I will need to ensure that the new domains contain the same
> management classes, to avoid rebinding, but are there any other things I need
> be aware of.
> Thanks
> John

> The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
> privileged. It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern
> Energy plc.
> It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by
> anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient,
> any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
> to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
> Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
> the error in transmission.
>
> Scottish Hydro-Electric, Southern Electric, SWALEC and S+S
> are trading names of the Scottish and Southern Energy Group.

Jim Kirkman
AIS - Systems
UNC-Chapel Hill
966-5884