ADSM-L

Question on what to back up...

2002-08-27 13:04:47
Subject: Question on what to back up...
From: Theresa Sarver <IFMC.tsarver AT SDPS DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:44:27 -0400
Hi All;

This may seem like an obvious question, but for some reason I'm having some
trouble with it.  The way this system was setup Tivoli is backing it's own
(UNIX) database and log files...and thus the backup fails every morning due to
changing [TSM] log files.

1)  Should these files be backed up at all?  I mean if you have to restore -
you're restoring from a db [tape] backup...right?  So can I just exclude these
TSM log/db files?
2)  If these db/log files should be backed up, wouldn't it make more sense to
have AIX/sysback back them up rather than Tivoli?  As you can't restore these
files anyway if Tivoli's offline.

Thanks for the help;
Theresa