ADSM-L

Re: 3494 on MVS vs AIX

2002-08-27 07:35:34
Subject: Re: 3494 on MVS vs AIX
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 04:20:26 -0700
On a 3494 attached to AIX what you can do is...
mtlib -l/dev/lmcp# -qL
Now, if the I/O station has any tapes in it, (used to this would be an
"intervention required" situation but not any more at atldd.5.0.7.0.bin )

Anyway, if you have something in the I/O station, you will notice that the
message "All output stations empty" is NOT PRESENT. So you can do something
like...

mtlib -l/dev/lmcp# -qL | grep 'ALL output stations empty' 1>/dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
   echo tapes in output mode in IO station...
   fi

change the echo to anything that works for you...
You can also do this to watch for "degraded" & "intervention" situations...

I just run a job hourly from AIX that does all this and pages me (well, the
oncall person) when it finds a problem...

Library Data:
   operational state..........Automated Operational State
   functional state...........00
   input stations.............1
   output stations............1
   input/output status........ALL input stations empty
   machine type...............3494
   sequence number............13256
   number of cells............1882
<...>

Library Data:
   operational state..........Automated Operational State
   functional state...........00
   input stations.............1
   output stations............1
   input/output status........ALL input stations empty
                              ALL output stations empty
   machine type...............3494
   sequence number............12293
   number of cells............2336