ADSM-L

Re: Calculating the size of a backupset

2002-08-25 20:26:22
Subject: Re: Calculating the size of a backupset
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 19:06:58 -0500
Mark Stapleton wrote:

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Mark D. Rodriguez

I would like to be able to calculate the size of a backupset prior to
running the "generate backupset" command.

Well, anybody have any ideas?

Yes. Run

       q filesp <node_name>

and add 'er up. It won't be exact, but it'll be close (assuming, of course,
that's there's been a recent backup of the node).

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE

Mark,

I don't think this will get what I want since "q files" shows the actual
size of the filespace, including any unused part of the filespace and
any files that have been excluded.  Also, this doesn't give me a file
count which is useful for creating unix file systems to get the correct
number of i-nodes created.

I appreciate the response.  What I am really hoping for is someone who
knows what the DB tables are so I can do it thru a select command.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE