ADSM-L

Calculating the size of a backupset

2002-08-25 17:20:25
Subject: Calculating the size of a backupset
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 16:22:00 -0500
Hi *SMers,

I would like to be able to calculate the size of a backupset prior to
running the "generate backupset" command.  If I could do this the size
could be included in desciption area when I generate the backupset.  I
have played around with some select commands, but I can't seem to link
all the necessary information.  I looked at the "backups" table and from
there I can deermine the list of the "active_version", but there is no
size attribute only an "object_id" which I assumed linked me to another
table but I can't what that table name is.  I looked at the "contents"
table and found a file size, but that is the size of the aggregate file
which could possibly have inactive versions in it.  I know TSM keeps
this info someplace because when you do a "dsm -> restore" with
inactives listed it shows you the files sizes for all the different
versions.  I can only assume (I know that's dangerous) that TSM must
have some either undocumented or inaccessable tables to track this info.

I had been trying an approach where I would bring up "dsm" select "file
level" (therefore including all my filespaces), and then use the
estimate button.  There is 2 problems with this 1 it certainly isn't an
automatic thing ( I would like to do this from a scheduled event ) and 2
the numbers I get from estimate in no way reflect what I got when I
actually did the "generate backupset".

Well, anybody have any ideas?

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE