ADSM-L

Looking for some reassurance

2002-08-25 15:45:36
Subject: Looking for some reassurance
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 14:48:19 -0500
First, by way of explanation, we do not keep archive tapes with "stat=full" in
the tape robot because we need the slots for active work, and we do not make an
offsite copy of archives because of rampant abuse of the process by numerous
users.

But I do have a large number of unwanted archive files on the offsite pool, and
the reclamation process has tended to clump them on a few tapes which never get
reclaimed.  I would think that a simple "del vol vol_offsite discarddat=y" will
get rid of the offenders while leaving the primary copy intact.  But I
certainly don't want to try it if it's going to zap some wanted files.

Am I correct that this is harmless???

Fred Johanson