ADSM-L

Re: Backup of 300 GB Data within 12 Hours

2002-08-22 09:29:34
Subject: Re: Backup of 300 GB Data within 12 Hours
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 04:43:12 -0700
Piece of cake !  but depends...
1) need big client box
2) need data such that multiple concurrent sessions may run
3) go to a diskpool...

We can back up a 3.4 TB data base in 12 hours...
E10K with 64 processors, 25 get dedicated to a TSM TDP/R3 backup (25
concurrent sessions), run client compression, go to diskpool that is about
900 GB, across Gig Ethernet.
Backup speeds (thruput) of up to 100+ GB/hr of compressed data.
If you only have a 100 Mb/sec Fast Ethernet, your max thruput will be cut
back to 41-ish GB/hr compressed client data.
Our SAP data bases have (over the last 5 years) seen 3.8/1 compression using
tsm client compression.

Nice thing here is that... your backup server may be located just about
anywhere, like across town at a disaster recovery site ;-)

Dwight E. Cook
Software Application Engineer III
509 S. Boston Ave.  Suite 220
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74103-4606