ADSM-L

Re: TSM reads tar/cpio data tape ?

2002-08-22 02:41:19
Subject: Re: TSM reads tar/cpio data tape ?
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:35:41 +0300
You already got the answer yourself. Neither tar & cpio can read each
others data nor TSM can read tapes created by them. Each program is using
own tape data format and cannot interpret other formats.
Have in mind TSM will store the "temp directory" path and filesystem path
info. Also you cannot restore first tape, backup to TSM, cleanup the dir,
restore second tape and backup to TSM. On second backup TSM will expire
data from first tape and soon you will lose it.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant