ADSM-L

Re: Override include-exclude list in Unix-client for one session

2002-08-21 17:11:31
Subject: Re: Override include-exclude list in Unix-client for one session
From: Jurjen Oskam <jurjen AT QUADPRO.STUPENDOUS DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:11:37 +0200
On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 09:08:16AM -0400, Andy Raibeck wrote:

> files during that backup. However, the next time you run a backup with
> your original include/exclude list, any backup versions of the database
> files will be expired (because they are excluded).

What do you mean exactly by "expired"?

 * Marked inactive, or
 * Deleted from the TSM database

It's a bit confusing to see the TSM ba-client say that it has "expired" a
file, while the TSM server means something entirely different with
"expiring" (i.e.: permanently deleting things from the database). The
client's "expiring" is the server's "marking inactive".

(Am I right in this? As I said, it's a bit confusing, especially for
somebody whose first language isn't English :-) )

To get back to the story, if it's the former (marking inactive), that could
be acceptable *if* the retain-only and versions-deleted parameters are
acceptable. However, I think your solution (FREQUENCY setting at 9999) is
much cleaner, and I'll implement that. Thanks for the excellent
explanation!

--
Jurjen Oskam

PGP Key available at http://www.stupendous.org/