ADSM-L

Re: cache hit rate

2002-08-21 10:43:18
Subject: Re: cache hit rate
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:33:49 +0200
On woensdag, augustus 21, 2002, at 09:46 , Sascha Braeuning wrote:

Hi all,

first I've to thank all participants for the amount of answers I got on my
latest questions. Now I've got a new one which relates on the
bufferpoolsize and the cache hit rate on OS/390 TSM-Servers.

we use the following bufpoolsize:  32768
our chache hit rate:            97,7 %

I know from my training at IBM that a cache hit rate of 99 % and above is
recommended. Is it possible, that a lower cache hit rate can cause
performance-problems? What is your experience?

MfG
Sascha Bräuning

Sparkassen Informatik, Fellbach

OrgEinheit: 6322
Wilhelm-Pfitzer Str. 1
70736 Fellbach

Telefon:   (0711) 5722-2144
Telefax:   (0711) 5722-1630

Mailadr.:  sascha.braeuning AT sparkassen-informatik DOT de

Hi,

a too low cache-hit rate has severe impact on performance. I guess 98% cache-hits or better is acceptable. Set the selftunebufsize in your dsmserv.opt file to allow TSM to tune the size of its cache for better performance (though i noticed setting it to more or less a sensible default to start with helps a lot...)

---
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam    http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams