ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Domino Performance - redux

2002-08-21 09:57:02
Subject: Re: TDP for Domino Performance - redux
From: David Stabler <dstabler AT MORRISONHOMES DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:22:11 -0400
> zforray AT VCU DOT EDU 08/21/02 08:11AM >>>
> I would have thought a 3590E1A on a SAN/FC connection would be
> fast enough to keep up with this traffic, other than to rewind the
tape.

Indeed, that may be the issue.  It could be going so fast that the tape
drive is having to wait on the next round of data for a bit.  When that
happens, the tape stops, rewinds, then prepares to spin forward with the
next stream so that it is written at speed, in the right place.  If you
send something that is broken up the streaming nature of the drive stops
being efficient (used to refer to it as "polishing the heads").

Are you sending lots of small bits, or one big file?  Is there any way
to watch the drive and see if it has gone idle while waiting?  Yes, that
may mean staring at a little light for a while, but if it answers the
problem, go get a pizza and a soda and a comfy lawn chair.  Now, I'm
terribly curious!

David Stabler, CATE/AIX, CNCE
Senior Systems Analyst