ADSM-L

RE: Réf. : Re: Backup of Win2`K Fileserver

2002-08-18 00:42:59
Subject: RE: Réf. : Re: Backup of Win2`K Fileserver
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 23:36:59 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Gill, Geoffrey L.
> I just went through this with a Solaris box. Some of the guys here sent me
> info to help me out. Now it works great. You can't believe the greif I got
> for 2 months. Call IBM and ask them what's wrong, do this do that, TSM
> sucks. In the end it was just as I told him on day one.

*Thank* you.

Here's a list, generated from the school of hard knocks, of the effects and
and my "99% of the causes" of problems in TSM:

Problem: Slow throughput of all clients to the TSM server.
99% of the causes: misconfigured networks/NICs.

Problem: Manual backups succeed, scheduled backups fail.
99% of the causes: file and logon permission problems (almost always Window
clients).

Problem: Problems with NetWare client backups and restores.
99% of the causes: old/bad version of the NetWare TSA and SMDR modules.

Problem: "We're always running out of scratch tapes!"
99% of the causes: No one's checking to see if reclamation runs, or no one's
feeding new tapes in, or a lot more data than planned is added to the load.

Problem: "We can't restore a file that was deleted a month ago."
100% of the causes: Retentions policies only hold a file for 14 days.

Problem: A file can't be retrieved from a backupset.
99% of the causes: No one can remember what the directory tree looks like,
and no one read the manual where it states that you can't browse through the
contents of a backupset.

I could go on. And probably will.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer