ADSM-L

Re: Deleting 'specific' EXPORT volumes

2002-08-15 12:52:50
Subject: Re: Deleting 'specific' EXPORT volumes
From: Theresa Sarver <IFMC.tsarver AT SDPS DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:46:21 -0400
Thank you soooo much for all the valuable information Wanda!  No, I didn't know
one could "manually" do any sort of DRM, and since they've already ordered DRM,
I guess I don't have to mess with that headache - thank God!!.  :)

Have a good day;
Theresa
>>> Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU 08/15/02 11:03AM >>>
No, you can't pick and choose.

YOu can:  DELETE VOLHIST TYPE=EXPORT TODATE= etc

So that you delete ONLY the EXPORT tapes and not other stuff, but you can't
delete specific EXPORT tapes.

On the other hand, if you delete the EXPORT tape from the VOLHIST, that
won't prevent you from using the data on an IMPORT, which is how you would
make use of the tape in a DR situation.  (After all, many people use IMPORT
to move data from one TSM server to another server that has never seen the
tape before.)

If the EXPORTed tape is deleted from VOLHIST, it just means you will have to
keep track of that tape manually somehow.  ANd if somebody accidentally
mounts that tape as scratch again (which shouldn't happen if the tape is
offsite), TSM will not prevent you from writing over it.

Also, just FYI, you DO NOT need the DRM license to make COPY POOL tapes.
That is part of the base product.
Many people use copy pool tapes and send them offsite, without having the
DRM product.

The DRM product does the vault management for you - marks the copy pool
tapes as OFFSITE, does the eject (if you want it to) of volumes from the
library, and shows you which tapes are ready to return ONSITE, etc.   It's a
pain in the posterior, but you can do it manually, without DRM.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert