ADSM-L

Backupset of HSM data

2002-08-13 09:47:32
Subject: Backupset of HSM data
From: Lars Bebensee <LBebensee AT HAITEC DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:29:44 +0100
Hi guys and girls,

is it possible to generate backupsets from migrated HSM data??
We are going to rebuild a TSM environment from scratch but want to retain a
the HSM data residing on an optical library. Let's suppose we destroy the
TSM DB and start with a new clean one. TSM will have forgotten all about
the optical volumes as well as the data on it. Backupsets will give me the
opportunitiy to restore stand-alone into a newly created HSM-Filesystem.
The first option would be copying the data into a disk filesystem large
enough to hold all the recalled data (130GB in our case) and later on
migrate it back. Apart from that option, what do I do if I haven't got the
necessary disk space available?
I could store on tape and the only thing that came to my mind was
backupsets. I tried to create one using the HSM filespace but it only wrote
the directories to tape, not the files. Would this be a case for an
export/import?

Thanks

Lars