ADSM-L

Re: A lot of questions concerning encryption and compression !!!

2002-08-08 14:01:12
Subject: Re: A lot of questions concerning encryption and compression !!!
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 14:01:15 -0400
I can't answer your questions exactly, but this may help you figure it out:

The TSM server records the number of bytes it receives from the client, and
the number of bytes it sends to the tape drive.
That is all it knows.  It doesn't know how many bytes the the data
represented before the client compressed it.  Nor does it know  that the
tape drive is doing compression.  I just knows how much data it received
across the network, and how much it sent to the drive before the drive
signalled back end-of-tape.

If your clients are doing compression, the server only records how many
bytes it received.   Forever after, you will get only that information back
form server queries.  So if a client compresses 10 GB down to 5 GB, the
server will say it received 5 GB.  If you do a Q OCCUPANCY, you will see 5
GB.

Data that is compressed by the client will not compress much more when
processed by hardware compression.  (In fact it can re-expand a little bit,
but I've never seen it do significant harm).  So if TSM sends 5 GB of
already-compressed data to the tape, it will take about 5 GB on the tape.

SO, the result, if your clients are all compressing the data, the "capacity"
figures you will see for your TSM tapes will be close to the raw capacity of
the media.

Hope that helps...
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert