ADSM-L

Re: Using TSM to backup DB2 & SAP R/3

2002-08-08 10:23:47
Subject: Re: Using TSM to backup DB2 & SAP R/3
From: "Crawford, Lindy" <lcrawford AT BOECORP.CO DOT ZA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 15:37:43 +0200
Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars Bebensee [mailto:LBebensee AT HAITEC DOT DE]
Sent: 08 August 2002 03:18
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

Hi Lindy,

how you would set the retention period would definitely depend on how much
space you want use for these data in the library. This one in turn depends
on how many versions of the data you are going to keep. There will always
be an active version of, lets say 60GB in your case. Suppose you want to
store at least one inactive copy (thats data that has been changed) and all
the files (it will be tables if you are using the API client backing up) of
database changes once, you will end up with another 60GB. These inactive
copies can be stored for user defined time. Once that time has passed,
expiration will kick the information about that copy out of the TSM
database. How many copies you will store and for how long they should
remain on tape is up to your or your customers requirements.
Now, I am still confused what database you are talking about. If you refer
to the TSM database, you should first check whether expiration of the data
runs fine. If you are referring to the DB2 database backup using more tapes
than it is supposed to you should additionally check if space reclamation
runs fine, freeing tapes that still hold expired data. Don't forget to
check back with the application people that they haven't loaded more data
into DB2 or SAP which would also mean more backup space.

Hope this helps

Lars