ADSM-L

A lot of questions concerning encryption and compression !!!

2002-08-08 05:20:34
Subject: A lot of questions concerning encryption and compression !!!
From: Jens Fornfeist <jens_fornfeist AT IDG DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:23:37 +0100
Hi tsm'ers,

we have a problem with the capacity of dlt-tapes. Normally on one dlt-tape
(35gb) you
can store about 50 GB with compression. Our DLT-Library stores only about
30 GB !!!!
So we searched for a compression-switch, but without success. The library
says, that
compression is on. We are using the tsm-encryption-feature for all files on
every client.
The tsm-client-release ist TSM V5.5.1 for Linux on most clients, our Server
is TSM 4.1.3
on Windows NT.

Questions:

1. Does TSM (DES) encryption increase file size and if so, with which
factor ??
      or
2. Does TSM (DES) encryption change the file-structure in a way that makes
the dlt hardware compression
    uneffective ??

3. Is it in this situation useful to enable the tsm-ba-client-compression
???

4. If encryption and ba-client-compression is enabled => which of this
options comes first ?!?!

5. Do a lot of very small files shrink the tape capacity (because of gaps
on the tape)????

6. Does the volume-capacity shown on the tsm-server represents the real
stored bytes or is it the
    summarized value of all stored files given by the tsm-client-nodes
(before or after encryption???) ?

Thanks for help!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jens Fornfeist