ADSM-L

Need Linux help to create disaster recovery instructions....

2002-08-07 14:43:43
Subject: Need Linux help to create disaster recovery instructions....
From: Keith Kwiatek <kkwiatek AT NIST DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 14:26:36 -0400
Hello,

I am trying to write bare metal recovery instructions for Linux.

Has anyone else done this?

I am trying a couple different methods....

1) Install a minimal redhat system on one partition, then create needed
partitions of system being restored, and then restoring "in place" (will red
hat choke if system files are overwritten while redhat is running?)..

2) Install minimal redhat system, create partitions, and mount on temp
mounts points (/tmp/root, /tmp/usr/, /tmp/var, etc)  so as not to interfere
with system. Update fstab/mtab/MBR and then reboot.....

Anyone have any insight, experience with such things...?

Keith