ADSM-L

Re: Using TSM to backup DB2 & SAP R/3

2002-08-07 13:09:21
Subject: Re: Using TSM to backup DB2 & SAP R/3
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:56:28 -0500
Not DB2, just Oracle -- but I think the concepts are the same.

Keep the backups as required or make sense.

We keep logs and off-line backups ('cold' backups) for 21 days -- so we can
backups for 8 days. Online backups run nightly except Saturday; On Saturday
we do the off-line backup. In addition, on Sunday, I do an archive run of
all non-database SAP filesystems to act as a weekly cleanpoint for
point-in-time restores durin D/R. SAP rather strongly suggests keeping three
generations of off-line backup, with redo logs to support them.

Your tape consumption will be a function of tape capacity and database size.
We use LTO tape and have a 675 GB database. I have 26 tapes in the library
with just the database (and another 6 for logs) and  35 tapes off-site. I
seem to be getting about 480 GB per tape. Oh -- and read 'TSM archive' for
'backups' of course.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc

http://www.boe.co.za/emaildisclaimer.htm