ADSM-L

Re: Minimizing Database Utilization

2002-07-31 11:56:48
Subject: Re: Minimizing Database Utilization
From: Todd Lundstedt <Todd_Lundstedt AT VIA-CHRISTI DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:53:56 -0500
We have no Oracle, DB2 or Exchange at the moment.  All we have is SQL and
Domino.  TDP for SQL v 1.1 (for SQL 6.5) works that way, and we are issuing
the commands to inactivate olderthan 10 days, and the management class is
set to 1/0/0/0.  TDP for SQL v 2.2 (for SQL 7.0/2000) and TDP for Domino
correctly use the management classes/definitions assigned without the need
for inactivate commands.

Still looking for why some of my SQL servers using storage agent are
starting and ending so many sessions per second.  I am sure that is one
reason why my database seems to be over utilized based on the number of
files I have managed in the database.

|--------+----------------------------->
|        |          "MC Matt Cooper    |
|        |          (2838)"            |
|        |          <Matt.Cooper@AMGREE|
|        |          TINGS.COM>         |
|        |          Sent by: "ADSM:    |
|        |          Dist Stor Manager" |
|        |          <[email protected]|
|        |          DU>                |
|        |                             |
|        |                             |
|        |          07/31/02 09:59 AM  |
|        |          Please respond to  |
|        |          "ADSM: Dist Stor   |
|        |          Manager"           |
|        |                             |
|--------+----------------------------->

>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |      To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                             |
  |      cc:
                                      |
  |      Subject:     Re: Minimizing Database Utilization

        Look to make sure your TDP's are actually deleting their backups.
was burned by DB2, Oracle and MS-EXCHANGE platforms not sending the command
to TSM to delete their old backups.   These files are NOT really being
managed by the copygroup policy the way you may think they are.  The client
must tell the server that the file (the TDP backups are all date/time
stamped and therefore UNIQUE) has been deleted.  Then your deleted file
policy in the copygroup is in effect.
Matt