ADSM-L

Re: polling for drives

2002-07-24 21:27:17
Subject: Re: polling for drives
From: Michael Benjamin <MBenjamin AT BUNNINGS.COM DOT AU>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:25:31 +0800
"update drive libraryname drivename online=no"

Before doing your AS/400 backup which I assume is going direct to a
/dev/rmtX device and
not via TSM in any way.

"update drive libraryname drivename online=yes"

When done. This will tell TSM not to attempt to use the device while you're
doing your thing.

What's happening here is as you backup direct to the drive you are
exclusively locking the device file,
tapeutil will also do this even with an inventory parameter (SCSI remember).
When TSM server tries to use
the drive for something innocuous, like a reclamation, it gets all confused
as the
drive is in use by something non-TSM and effectively marks the drive as
Unavailable and will cease
using it, assuming it's in a fault state really, requiring manual
intervention to bring that drive back online.
Personally, I don't like the idea of trying to use TSM in conjunction with
other machines accessing the library
with non-TSM methods.

Here's a real-life example of a drive in an off-line state (for another
reason):

3584LIB1         3584DRV03        LTO             /dev/rmt6
Unavailable Since

07/25/02   07:09:35

Here's a simple script (not tested much) that you can perhaps make use of to
check drive states. It's nice
to know when your drives are dropping off the perch, particularly if your
backups are scheduled or even running...

#!/bin/ksh
# AIX 4.3.30 version

NUM_ONLINE=0
NUM_OFFLINE=0
ERROR_FLAG=""
CHECKING_FREQUENCY=300    # 5 Minutes

scan_drives()
{
  /usr/bin/dsmadmc -id=lowlyuser -password=lowlyuserpass << EOF
  q drive
  quit
EOF
}

while :
do
  echo "Drives Online\t: \c "
  NUM_ONLINE=$(scan_drives  | grep Yes | wc -l)
  echo ${NUM_ONLINE}

  NUM_OFFLINE=$(scan_drives  | grep Unavail | wc -l)
  echo "Drives Offline\t: \c"
  echo ${NUM_OFFLINE}

  if [[ ${NUM_OFFLINE} -gt 0 ]]
  then
      ERROR_FLAG="EEP"

      # Report stuff here. Fire off paging.
      # Automatically deal and report fault. etc. etc.

      NUM_OFFLINE=0
  fi

  sleep ${CHECKING_FREQUENCY}

done

exit 0

This also is a useful command that could be used instead (even via a
cgi-script :) )

tsm: ADSM_BBS>select library_name, drive_name, online from drives

LIBRARY_NAME           DRIVE_NAME             ONLINE
------------------     ------------------     ------------------
3575LIB1               3570DRV11              YES
3575LIB1               3570DRV11              YES
3575LIB1               3570DRV12              YES
3584LIB1               3584DRV00              YES
3584LIB1               3584DRV01              YES
3584LIB1               3584DRV02              YES
3584LIB1               3584DRV03              YES
3584LIB1               3584DRV04              YES

Mike.

Bunnings Legal Disclaimer:

1)     This email is confidential and may contain legally priviledged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
disclose or use the information contained in it.  If you have received
this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email and
delete the document.

2)     All emails sent to and sent from Bunnings Building Supplies
are scanned for content.  Any material deemed to contain inappropriate
subject matter will be reported to the email administrator of all
parties concerned.