ADSM-L

Another TDP for Lotus Domino question

2002-07-18 19:00:12
Subject: Another TDP for Lotus Domino question
From: "Mike H. Wiederkehr/AT-Austin/3M/US" <hmwiederkehr AT MMM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:58:29 -0500
Shannon,

To keep 5 weeks on DB backups, set your versions to 5 in the copy group for
the management class used to back up the DB's.  The full backups done
weekly will keep track of the logs that belong to that full backup. When
you back up the 6th time, the 1st backup will go away, and it's associated
logs entries will be marked for deletion. You will have to run the "domdsmc
inactivatelogs" command weekly, after the backup run, to actually get rid
of the logs that are no longer needed. We keep 5 versions of our DB's while
the files exists, and only 1 when the file is deleted. This last copy is
kept for 30 days after it is deleted. Our copy group is defined as
follows....

Versions Data Exists 5
Versions Data Deleted 1
Retain Extra Versions 30
Retain Only Version 30

Hope this helps...

Mike Wiederkehr
3M Electro & Communications Market, Austin IT
145-2S-71
(512) 984-3297
hmwiederkehr AT mmm DOT com

                      Shannon Bach
                      <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>          To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          cc:
                      Dist Stor Manager"       Subject:
                      <[email protected].

                      07/18/02 03:21 PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Another TDP for Lotus Domino question.  I am setting up a new Policy
Domain, Policy Set, Management Class and Backup Copy Group just for the TDP
node.
The following are the parameters I am using for the Domain;
 Backup Retention (Grace Period) 38                                 - (to
have 38 versions or 5 weeks even if inactive)
 Archive Retention (Grace Period) 365                               -
(leave at default as I do not need this)

I have set up a Policy Set Name & Management Class and I am trying to
figure out how I should set up the Backup Copy Group for this Mgmt class.
I know to leave the Frequency, Mode & Serialization at the defaults because
they are not applicable to TDP.  My client would like to keep 5 weeks or 38
days of the DB backups and Tran Log Archives and we will use archival
logging.   At this time I plan to stagger 4 Tran Log archives every 6
hours, do an incremental DB backup once a day, 6 days a week, then a
selective backup once a week, plus I will use the BA client to do backups
with excludes of the DB's.  I haven't quite grasped the whole concept of
how I keep enough Tran Logs for the inactive DB's etc.
My question is if my Management Class is defined like below

Versions Data Exists 38
Versions Data Deleted 38
Retain Extra Versions 38
Retain Only Version 38

will I be accomplishing what I want for both the DB's & Tran Logs?  Or am I
doing an overkill?  I would appreciate any idea's you may have.

Shannon Bach
Madison Gas & Electric Co.
Operations Analyst - Data Center Services
Office 608-252-7260
Fax 608-252-7098
e-mail sbach AT mge DOT com