ADSM-L

Re: Expire data on a server that doesnt exist any longer.

2002-07-18 08:38:25
Subject: Re: Expire data on a server that doesnt exist any longer.
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:36:37 -0400
Henrik,

TSM will do this for you, it just takes time.  Let's assume your copy group
settings are as such -

Ver Exist - 7
Ver Deleted - 7
Retain Extra - 60
Retain Only - 90

First rule is TSM will never delete the active versions of the data on you.
It sounds like that's what you want, so there's nothing to worry about on
that.

The much misunderstood Retain Extra parameter here is going to do what you
want.  This is a timer on Inactive files - in the above example, a file is
deleted 60 days after it becomes inactive, unless it was the last version
of the file, and that one is kept 90 days.

So, if node ABC's data is bound to a management class with the above copy
group settings, after 60 days the only versions of the data you will have
is the last active copy.

In other words, to do what you want, you don't have to actually do anything
but wait.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

Today is the tomorrow of yesterday.

                      Henrik Wahlstedt

                      <shwl AT STATOIL DOT COM        To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      >                        cc:

                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: Expire data on a
server that doesnt exist any longer.
                      Dist Stor

                      Manager"

                      <[email protected]

                      .EDU>

                      07/18/2002 05:54

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      "ADSM: Dist Stor

                      Manager"

Hi,

What I´m trying to do is to get rid of xyz´s extra version since that is a
node that doesnt exist anymore. And let the node expire away. I dont want
to delete the filespace.

//Henrik