ADSM-L

Question 5.1.1.0 / NT2000 / invisible local NT2000 files

2002-07-17 11:10:21
Subject: Question 5.1.1.0 / NT2000 / invisible local NT2000 files
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:11:28 +0200
Hello,

 does somebody tested this simple thing in 5.1.1.0 on NT2000:
 will TSM client backup all files on the disk?

 1) dsmc select c:\winnt\* -subdir=yes
 2) compare the count of files backed up to those found with DIR command

(there are no exclude´s in the . OPT file for test purposes,
I am logged in with local admin rights)

I found out that many files will NOT GET BACKED UP.
No error messages, they are simply skipped.
I did not look for locked files, only for normal files without any special
access rights, atributes, locks.

For example, c:\winnt\system32\*.exe: I get NOT backed-up the calc.exe,
but I do can copy/rename/delete it using explorere or cmd.exe.

I retried it on freshly installed NT2000 system, same results.
Both Systems were German, latest fixpacks,
the TSM Filesystems are unicode.

The problem is common to both tsm command line and GUI,
in the client GUI I even will not see this local files at all.

When I boot from another instance of NT2000 (same computer, D: partition),
I can backup all files on C:, so it probably not a problem with local NTFS
file sysetm.

What could be the reason?

best regards

Juraj Salak