ADSM-L

VMS 7.2-1 backups with ABC client

2002-07-17 10:32:52
Subject: VMS 7.2-1 backups with ABC client
From: "Miller Dave (RBNA/CIT1)" <Dave.Miller AT US.BOSCH DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:30:08 -0500
Hello All,

Is there anyone out there using TSM to backup VMS with the ABC client?  I've
setup the clients for NT and UNIX, but the VMS client seems to be totally
different.  Unfortunately, I have NO VMS experience and our VMS guy has NO
TSM experience.

So far we've installed the client on our VMS system, and configured it to
talk to the server.  I've done a small test backup and everything seems to
be working.  What I am not clear on (and neither is the documentation) is
how to setup Include/exclude lists, and also how to redirect data to a
different management class.
In NT we would do something like this:

Include c:\...\*        default_data_mgmt       ***OS disk.  We might keep 5
versions of files
Include d:\...\*        user_data_mgmt  ***Data disk.  We might keep 15
version of files for actual user data
exclude c:\...\temp\...\*                       ***skip all files under temp
dirs on OS disk

A few things that would really help:
If someone has config files that I could look at to get an understanding /
see the syntax for the files
Any kind of tuning parameters that should be in the files
Anything to be careful of when backing up VMS

A brief explanation of how to setup include/exclude lists, and also how to
route data to mgmt classes

Any help would be greatly appreciated-

Dave