ADSM-L

Re: NIC Settings

2002-07-16 18:17:40
Subject: Re: NIC Settings
From: Justin Bleistein <justin.bleistein AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 18:04:41 -0400
      Now do you need help determining your speed? If so hopefully this
procedure will help it was written for Solaris. I hope I read that right
and I hope this answers your question, in our environment we had the same
issue then we changed our network settings on the Solaris client NIC side
as well as the AIX server NIC side to 100 full duplex, autonegociation off
on both sides and it flies even on 10/100. thanks:

The following procedure details certain characteristics you can change as a
Solaris administrator. The three type of Solaris interfaces are the
following:

1.) ge -- gig card

2.) hme - integrated home card

3.) qfe - 4 port quad card

Those are the basic type of network cards. To see all of the network
interface cards currently configured on your system, type in the following:

# ifconfig -a <ENTER>

To bring configure a newly installed card type in the following:

# ifconfig qfeX plumb <ENTER>

Note: ==> "qfe" was just used as an example, you can configure "hme's and
ge's" the same way. Also note the "X" is the instance name, and instance is
the number id of the card if you have two cards of the same type then it's
0 and 1.

After you ran the above command, type in the following command again and
you should see that newly configured network interface on your system:

# ifconfig -a <ENTER>

To set an IP address to the card as well as the netmask of the card type in
the following:

# ifconfig qfeX ip_address netmask netmask_address up <ENTER>

Now when you type in the following command again you will see the ip
address assigned to it:

# ifconfig -a <ENTER>

NOTE: ==> You can view specific cards only by typing in the command like
this "ifconfig qfeX <ENTER>"

To bring the interface down you should type in the following:

# ifconfig qfeX down <ENTER>

To unconfigure the card (flush the ip address of the card "if you will"),
type in the following:

# ifconfig qfeX unplumb <ENTER>

Let's say a network interface went down and you can't see it via the
"ifconfig" command anymore, even when you plumb it again you still won't
see the address. To see what the address might have been please look at the
following file "hostname.qfeX" by typing in the following command:

cd /etc <ENTER>

cat hostname.qfeX <ENTER>

If you view that file, it will tell you what the IP address of that card
was.

To see different characteristics set to a specific card after it's all
configured and up, the command to use for that is "ndd", First you must
tell "ndd" what specific interface you want to look at, you do that by
typing in the following:

# ndd -set /dev/qfe instance X <ENTER>

This is how you see the link status of a card:

# ndd -get /dev/qfe link_status <ENTER>

0 = DOWN

1 = UP

This is how you see the speed of a card:

# ndd -get /dev/qfe link_speed <ENTER>

0 = 10 mbps

1 = 100 mbps

This is how you see the mode of a card:

# ndd -get /dev/qfe link_mode <ENTER>

0 = Half Duplex

1 = Full Duplex

Here is the way you set different characteristics of a card:

 # ndd -set /dev/hme instance 0 <ENTER>
 # ndd -set /dev/hme adv_100T4_cap 0 <ENTER>
 # ndd -set /dev/hme adv_100fdx_cap 0 <ENTER>
 # ndd -set /dev/hme adv_100hdx_cap 0 <ENTER>
 # ndd -set /dev/hme adv_10fdx_cap 1 <ENTER>
 # ndd -set /dev/hme adv_10hdx_cap 0 <ENTER>
 # ndd -set /dev/hme adv_autoneg_cap 0 <ENTER>

                      "Gill, Geoffrey
                      L."                      To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      <GEOFFREY.L.GILL@        cc:
                      SAIC.COM>                Subject:  NIC Settings
                      Sent by: "ADSM:
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      07/16/2002 05:36
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Will a Solaris expert please tell me if this is true?

We are having an issue with backup speed on a Solaris server. I posted the
question yesterday but did not hear anything except what I already have
been
told, i.e. make sure the duplex is matched properly. The Solaris server we
have is reporting running OS 5.8 and TSM 5.1.1.0, compression has been
turned off.

When I asked for the NIC/switch setting to be verified the answer I got
back
was they don't do that on Solaris, on the host side. I would like
verification please. This computer backed up just over 2GB of data in 9.5
hours and at this point I don't know what else to have checked. The 10GB
they have would have taken 4 days at that rate.

I refused to call Tivoli till I get answers to the questions I've asked
here. I have no answers, yet they still want me to call so Tivoli can tell
me to check the same things I don't have answers to.............go figure.

Could someone either straighten me out or shed a little light please? Will
making any changes to the options file help?

Thanks as always for the help.
Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC
E-Mail:    <mailto:gillg AT saic DOT com> gillg AT saic DOT com
Phone:  (858) 826-4062
Pager:   (877) 905-7154