ADSM-L

Re: General TSM Q's

2002-07-16 13:03:09
Subject: Re: General TSM Q's
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:01:22 -0400
I've got one 30 GB TSM data base, 4 others are smaller.
I'd guess you are slightly above average, but I have no actual stats to go
on.

I strongly agree with the previous post that you should double check your
retention settings to see if you are keeping too many versions of files, and
check to sure expiration is running to see if you can slow down your DB
growth rate.

As far as what is "too large", it depends totally on your hardware/software
combination, and whether you are happy with your performance.  As hardware
gets better, TSM sites are reporting satisfactory results with larger data
bases.

As the DB grows, TSM sites generallly start reporting complaints about
expiration, reclaim, and/or DB backups running too slowly to get done in a
timely fashion.  You certainly can't grow the DB indefinitely.  I expect you
will start to choke long before you get to 100 GB, so I would worry about my
growth rate, if I were you.

Regarding the tape library issue, I assume your library is defined as
LIBTYPE=SCSI  (to check, you can do:  Q LIBRARY libname F=D).
TSM does not support mixed device types in a SCSI library.