ADSM-L

TDP for SAP

2002-07-16 09:34:37
Subject: TDP for SAP
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 06:32:40 -0700
It looks as though our SAP backups have ground to a crawl here and I'm
wondering if anyone else has seen this or might shed some light. I'll tell
you I don't have access to the nodes so it may take me some time to get info
that I haven't supplied here. The slow backups started in May I'm told,
everything was fine before that. The nodes are set up to allow 4 connections
each, and I see this when they attach.

I received the below info from the SAP folks so it's possible we've got some
issues since the hardware changeover. There have also been some network
changes and I've discussed rolling those back to see if things return to
normal.

"I would agree with Don that SAP uses the *utl file -- SAP goes through it's
regular backup tool (brbackup) that then calls the TSM provided software
called backint.  As of the time I set up the topes45 box for TSM I used the
latest versions of the software. However, when I spoke with TSM Cust.
Support, they indicated that we were on the bleeding edge with the Compaq
ES45 hardware and OS 5.1a... ..they said it would work, but {fill in per
your imagination}."

I'm told what's happening is the system screams through it's backup in a few
hours but then takes some 4 to 6 hours to transfer the last few files.
Sounds like it does a file, then sits for an hour then does another and sits
for an hour and so on till it completes. I'm told these are small files,
less than 1G, compared to the rest of the stuff. I'm also told this software
utilizes something called a .util file instead of a dsm.opt. Is this
correct? They sent me a copy of the file and see some of the same things I'd
see there, however I still thought it needed it. Someone help me out please.

The bottom line is these servers worked before in another life. There have
been too many hardware/software changes which has truly compounded the
situation to the point where we can't go back a step to start over. The OS
is listed as 5.1a, the TSM baclient is 4.2.0.0 according to the TSM Server.
Total DB size is close to 300GB. The backup starts at midnight on Sunday, at
5:30, 6:30, 7:30, 8:30 and 9:30 I see these, then at 9:34 the backup finally
completes.

ANR0482W Session 127671 for node XBMS (TDP R3 Digital)terminated - idle for
more than 60 minutes.
07/14/02 05:30:00     ANR0482W Session 127670 for node XBMS (TDP R3 Digital)

Suggestions please?

Thanks,
Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC
E-Mail:    <mailto:gillg AT saic DOT com> gillg AT saic DOT com
Phone:  (858) 826-4062
Pager:   (877) 905-7154