ADSM-L

Re: reclamation of unavailable primary tapes

2002-07-15 10:42:34
Subject: Re: reclamation of unavailable primary tapes
From: Lars Bebensee <LBebensee AT HAITEC DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 17:25:42 +0300
Hi Guys,

thanks for the reply. OK, I see TSM will handle more tapes than the library
can physically digest. I consulted the TSM Admin Guide on this. The tapes
in the overflow location will also age, won't they? Now, what are we going
to do about space reclamation of the tapes in the overflow location? Will
some operator have to stand by just to exchange tapes? On the other hand,
this would be a better solution than checking tapes out of a primary
storage pool since no backups have to be deleted in order to supply more
scratches. Maintaining a copy storage pool on the 3575 should not pose a
problem since the customer has another 3575 in a second location. The DLT
will be another story because there is no backup changer or drive, so the
created copy storage pool volumes will prove to be quite useless in case of
a DR situation. I will have to call the customers attention to this.
Thanks anyway.

Lars