ADSM-L

Re: Reclaiminig LTO Tapes

2002-07-03 18:18:48
Subject: Re: Reclaiminig LTO Tapes
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 17:15:11 -0500
Gilbert,

Is there a particular reason you have such a large library with just two
drives?  I have a 3583 with four drives.  I did that to prevent the very
problem you're reporting.

Assuming it hosts a primary storage pool, you will need two drives for
reclamation unless you use a FILE devclass disk pool as a reclaim pool.
Then you can turn one two-drive process into two one-drive processes with
a buffer in between them.

If you also might be doing reclamation of your copypool(s) - a situation I
sometimes see on my system - you will need a third drive.

A fourth drive reserves one drive for "outgoing" data to clients.  That is
why I put four drives in all four of my tape libraries.

My 3583 connected HV Diff SCSI gives a sustained 12 MB/s per drive.  That
works out to about 43 GB/hour minus "bubbles" from when the tape is being
repositioned.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram Corporation

Guillaume Gilbert <guillaume.gilbert AT DESJARDINS DOT COM>
07/03/2002 08:40 AM