ADSM-L

Re: Réf. : Re: IO errors on tape drives

2002-06-27 10:05:21
Subject: Re: Réf. : Re: IO errors on tape drives
From: Beat Largo <beat.largo AT ZURICH DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:03:06 +0200
Hi Gilbert

Our setup is not completely the same. We got a Powderhorn 9310 with 9940A
drives. The microcode is R1.30.212f.
We will soon know if the upgrade of the microcode will solve our problem
with the message  ANR8302E.

Anyway we will not upgrade the TSM-Server soon, maybe end of this year and
we will go directly to 5.

Best regards,

Beat

                      Guillaume Gilbert

                      <guillaume.gilbert@DESJ         To:      ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      ARDINS.COM>                     cc:

                      Sent by: "ADSM: Dist            Subject: Réf. : Re: IO
errors on tape drives
                      Stor Manager"

                      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                      27.06.2002 15:04

                      Please respond to

                      "ADSM: Dist Stor

                      Manager"

Hi Beat

We had our STK tech do a diagnostic and upgrade to micro-code 1.30.111 if I
remember correctly. The diags showed that the drives were doing fine. And I
am sure the
library is doing okk cause Z/OS is pounding on it nite and day without any
problems. Our switch is at firmware level 2.4.1f which is pretty recent.

Are your drives 9840a or 9840b? I'm thinking the TSM driver is optimized
for 9840b drives which are much faster and the 9840a is responding too
slowly which is causing
timeouts. I suggest you don't upgrade to server 4.2.2.*. Every time I mount
a tape it becomes unreadable. Wouldn't want that on a production server...

Guillaume Gilbert
CGI Canada

Beat Largo <beat.largo AT ZURICH DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 2002-06-27 08:01:11

Veuillez répondre à "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

Envoyé par :   "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

Pour :    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc :
Objet :   Re: IO errors on tape drives

Hi Gilbert

Interesting enough for us that there is somebody out there with the same
setup as we have. Now we had the same problem with a TSM-Server upgrade to
4.2.1.15. We are not yet finished with the solution (maybe next week we
will know it for sure) but it seems that the problem will be solved with an
upgrade of the microcode of the tape drives and the storagetek library.
Today the technician of StorageTek is inhouse to do the upgrade. We don't
know yet the number of the microcode upgrade but if you need it, we can
give it to you tomorrow.
Here some of our failures:
26.06.02   10:43:54      ANR8302E I/O error on drive TSMT320 (/dev/mt1)
(OP=READ,
                          Error Number=5, CC=305, KEY=04, ASC=44, ASCQ=B6,

SENSE=F0.00.04.00.04.00.00.12.00.00.00.00.44.B6.00.00.00-
                          .00.37.E8.37.E8.35.4D., Description=Drive
failure).
                          Refer to Appendix D in the 'Messages' manual for
                          recommended action.
26.06.02   11:05:04      ANR8302E I/O error on drive TSMT320 (/dev/mt6)
(OP=OFFL,
                          Error Number=46, CC=203, KEY=04, ASC=53, ASCQ=01,

SENSE=70.00.04.00.00.00.00.12.00.00.00.00.53.01.00.00.00-
                          .00.5C.88.00.00.00.00., Description=Manual
intervention
                          required).  Refer to Appendix D in the 'Messages'
manual
                          for recommended action.
27.06.02   02:01:29      ANR8302E I/O error on drive TSMT320 (/dev/mt6)
(OP=OFFL,
                          Error Number=46, CC=203, KEY=04, ASC=53, ASCQ=01,

SENSE=70.00.04.00.00.00.00.12.00.00.00.00.53.01.00.00.00-
                          .00.5C.88.00.00.00.00., Description=Manual
intervention
                          required).  Refer to Appendix D in the 'Messages'
manual
                          for recommended action.
27.06.02   10:04:19      ANR8302E I/O error on drive TSMT320 (/dev/mt5)
(OP=READ,
                          Error Number=5, CC=305, KEY=04, ASC=44, ASCQ=B6,

SENSE=F0.00.04.00.04.00.00.12.00.00.00.00.44.B6.00.00.00-
                          .00.37.E8.37.E8.35.4D., Description=Drive
failure).
                          Refer to Appendix D in the 'Messages' manual for
                          recommended action.

Best regards,

Beat Largo

Zurich Switzerland
IT SC - Shared Service Center
Storage Management, IFS
Unterrohrstr. 5
Postfach
8952 Schlieren
Phone: +4116258214 / Fax +4116258061
mailto:beat.largo AT zurich DOT com
homepage:http://www.zurich.com

                      Guillaume Gilbert
                      <guillaume.gilbert@DESJ         To:
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      ARDINS.COM>                     cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM: Dist            Subject: IO errors on
tape drives
                      Stor Manager"
                      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                      26.06.2002 21:58
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hi there

Here is our setup. We use Gresham's DistribuTAPE software to manage our STK
9840 drives, which are in an STK 9310 (BIG mainframe library).The drives
are fiber attached
through a Brocade silkworm switch.

We originally used Gresham's AdvanTAPE driver with the generictape device
class. After reading that this class could not do lanfree backups and
library sharing, I decided
to use TSM's native device driver for these drives which are supported
according to tivoli's website. Now changing a device class is not a small
task. You have to migrate
all your tapes to the new class and 600 9840 tapes at 20 gb a piece is a
long and tedeous process. Since then, we've been having all sorts of IO
errors and the more
recent the Server version, the worst it is. My production server is at
4.1.3. When the errors pop up its usually this one :

05/21/2002 09:38:47      ANR8302E I/O error on drive TSMCPLX9840E
(/dev/mt3)
                          (OP=READ, CC=206, KEY=FF, ASC=FF, ASCQ=FF,
                          SENSE=**NONE**, Description=General SCSI
failure).  Refer
                          to Appendix D in the 'Messages' manual for
recommended
                          action.

which is not too bad, just updates the tape to readonly and dismounts it.
We also get CC=205 and some CC=40*. Luckily for me I have a test server
around to test AIX5.1
which is connected to the sam drives so I thought I'd have better luck with
4.2.2.*. Well it's worse, every time a dismount occurs I get this error :

06/26/2002 15:36:39      ANR8302E I/O error on drive TSMCPLX9840E
(/dev/mt0)
                          (OP=OFFL, Error Number=78, CC=205, KEY=FF,
ASC=FF,
                          ASCQ=FF, SENSE=**NONE**, Description=SCSI adapter
                          failure).  Refer to Appendix D in the 'Messages'
manual
                          for recommended action.

And the tape is no longer readable. I've had a PMR open for a month now on
this thing and finally its up to level 2 support.

Does anybody out there have the same setup as I do. Any help would be
appreciated.

Guillaume Gilbert
CGI Canada