ADSM-L

Archive Question follow-up

2002-06-27 08:25:52
Subject: Archive Question follow-up
From: "Lawson, Jerry W (ETSD, IT)" <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:24:07 -0400
Yesterday, I posted a question about archive directories - in a nutshell,
the question revolved around an archive for a set of files for 60 days.
After 60 days the files were expired, but the directories for the files
remained.  I received the following response from Matt Adams:

> More than likely, you have a situation where the directories are being
bound
> to the longest mgmt class you have for archiving in that policy domain.
>
> If you look at the regular backup data the same thing should be occurring.
> Directory entries are showing but the data may already be expired. The
> directories are again bound to the mgmt class with the longest retention
> unless you use the DIRMC client option.  Although I can't swear that this
> same issue occurs for archiving data.

I must agree that this seems to be happening.  So then I went to the doc on
DIRMC for Unix clients, and found that the DIRMC option does not apply to
Archive clients...  "The dirmc option specifies the management class of
directories being backed up, and does not effect archived directories.
Archived directories are always bound to the default management class. "
(from the Unix B/A Client manual for V4.1).

Now, can someone tell me why this is a good idea?  What is the value of
clogging up my database with directory entries for 2 years (my default) when
the actual data is deleted after 60 days.  This archive runs daily, and so
it appears that I have about 4,800 extra entries in the DB for each file
that I archive with this process.  Not much here, but this is a technique we
use in lots of places in our shop.  I suppose it's not a bug, since it is
documented as working this way, but the logic of the process appears to be
faulty to me.

Jerry Lawson

immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all
copies.