ADSM-L

Your advice wanted!

2002-06-26 11:15:41
Subject: Your advice wanted!
From: Maria Waern <ms AT WAERN DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:13:46 +0200
As a TSM newbie I'd be grateful for some hints and tips - I'm not after
instructions because I have those!

A customer has a small office, 15 or 20 people with laptops (20 Gb HDDs
mostly) and a new Windows 2000/TSM server that contains 4x 60Gb IDE
disks.  They have no tape robot.

What is the best way to set up storage pools on the disks?  Use
sequential pools instead of standard disk storage pools to provide for
easier future storage pool backup should they acquire some tape robot
(although this seems highly unlikely at the present time)?

Also how big should each storage volume on the disks be?  Presumably
it's not a good idea to make one large (approx 60 Gb) storage volume on
each disk?  It may not even be possible to do this for all I know!

Also, what about having two of the disks set aside for copy storage
pools?  They only have one machine dedicated for TSM just now and no
off-site backup.  I said it was a small office!  Anyway, I was thinking
to have a primary pool on two of the disks and dedicate the other two
for a copy storage pool.

Like I said I don't need instructions, just your ideas!

Maria