ADSM-L

Re: Expiring Data...in an unconventional manner

2002-06-26 08:25:09
Subject: Re: Expiring Data...in an unconventional manner
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 08:23:22 -0400
You didn't indicated if this filesystem will be backed up weekly or daily
with those rules.  My answer assumes weekly, or daily with a small
filesystem (not too many files, and "too many" isn't easily definable).
Don't backup that filesystem (just remove it from domain statement, or
exclude.fs it), and archive it with a 7 day retention.  TSM will handle the
data deletes for you.  If there's a lot of data, and you do the archive
daily, you're holding a lot of extra data on the TSM server (and in the TSM
database).

An alternate way to delete the filespace from the TSM server is to have the
client run a "dsmc delete filespace filespacename" weekly.  The client has
to be allowed to delete backup data on the TSM server (check with "q node
nodename f=d"), and this will delete all the data for the filesystem - but
once run, there's no going back.  You can also do the same thing on the
server with an admin schedule ("delete filespace nodename filespacename").

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

Today is the tomorrow of yesterday.

                      "Hagopian,
                      George"                  To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      <GHagopian@ICTGRO        cc:
                      UP.COM>                  Subject:  Expiring Data...in an
unconventional manner
                      Sent by: "ADSM:
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      06/25/2002 11:27
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Greetings all...

Interesting dilemma...I have an AIX box (unix server) that I am backing up
via TSM 4.2...and I need to expire the data on a particular filesystem
every
7 days but (knew that was coming) I need to keep the rest of the
filesystems
on the AIX box forever...is there a way to do this?...ok I know there has
be but I just don't see the light....some one show me the light please

Thank You Very Much
George Hagopian
ICT Group Inc
AIX/TSM Admin