ADSM-L

Re: TSM server problem

2002-06-23 15:57:56
Subject: Re: TSM server problem
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 14:56:13 -0500
I got hit again today by this.  I watched as first the output tape and then the
input tape were mounted.  Both show up in the "q mo" and on the "q pr".  Then
the process gets cancelled with that misleading message.  My ActLog, which I
posted a copy of some months ago, looks like yours.  But this morning I saw
that the offsite reclamation and copypool creation but wanted thed same
cartridges at the same time.  Unfortunately, Sunday is the one day I cannot
afford to recycle the server.

Quoting Henk ten Have <hthta AT SARA DOT NL>:

> I couldn't find an APAR that describes what we have been seeing
> on our 4.2.1.11 (AIX 4.3.3) server during the last few weeks
> so I was wondering if we have discovered new bug.
>
> First we got this message in the activity log:
>
> 06/09/02   10:39:38  ANR1229W Volume 000591 cannot be backed up - volume is
>                       offline or access mode is "unavailable" or
> "destroyed".
>
> We did a 'q vol f=d'. The access mode of the volume was 'Available'
> so we dismissed it as a freak incident until the message repeated
> itself the next day.
>
> This time we opened the (3494) library and verified that the
> volume was in the correct cell.
>
> We tried a 'restore volume' followed by a 'delete volume'.
> The delete failed:
>
> ANR2405E DELETE VOLUME: Volume 000591 is currently in use by
> clients and/or data management operations.
> ANS8001I Return code 14.
>
> At that time there were no processes or sessions that used
> that particular volume. Also we had four other volumes
> that displayed the same behaviour.
> We halted the server and restarted it again which solved
> the problem. The volumes were no longer 'in use'.
> Today we noticed two other volumes that seem to have
> the same problem so I'm beginning to suspect that I've found
> a bug in the server.
>
> All these volumes have one thing in common: When I seacrh
> the activity log for their mounts and dismounts I can't
> find a dismount message after their last mount (before they
> become 'unavailable'). It is as if the volumes are unmounted
> by the library but TSM isn't being notified of this.
>
> Anyone seen this before?
>
> Cheers,
> Henk.

Fred Johanson