ADSM-L

Re: Keeping an handle on client systems' large drives

2002-06-17 10:02:05
Subject: Re: Keeping an handle on client systems' large drives
From: Lisa Cabanas <CABANL AT MODOT DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 09:02:21 -0500
What are .nrg and .gho?

the file extension source web site says

  .NRG  Norton Registration Entries
         Nero CD-Image
         IsoBuster File

and

   .GHO  Symantec Ghost Disk Image File

Is this what you are seeing in your environment?

I can understand the cd images, but not the ghost files.  (I know a couple
of NT admins that would be really peeved if their ghost images were blown
away and irretrievable!

lisa

                    Mark Stapleton
                    <stapleto@BERB       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    EE.COM>              cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: Keeping an handle on
client systems' large drives
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR
                    IST.EDU>

                    06/14/2002
                    07:23 AM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Dan Foster
> Not every site is lucky enough to be able to convince the beancounters
> the merits of having a backup system that keeps up with the needs of
> the end users, even if it means one has to explain doomsday predictions
> on the business bottom line -- they invariably hear that then say "Oh,
> pshaw, you're just exaggerating because you want money...". It sucks
> to be the one that's right ;) And the ones who warns well before a
> nasty event occurs may also be the first one to be fired out of spite
> after something happens and gets the blame for not having prevented it.

There is only one thing that will convince the beancounters that backup
resources must be kept to adequate levels:

        one bad day

Put your objections in email, send that email to those who matter, and
*keep* *a* *copy*. Gently (but regularly) remind the powers-that-be that
your backup resources are inadequate.

In the meantime, aggressively filter what is being backed up. An
increasingly large amount of data is going to files with extensions like
.nrg, .wmf, .mp3, .rm, and .gho (my current unfavorite). Don't back 'em up.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MSCE