ADSM-L

hardware questions before I buy

2002-06-16 18:15:04
Subject: hardware questions before I buy
From: Jeff Rogers <jrogers AT MJROGERS DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 18:13:19 -0400
We have a small TSM system.  I'm looking to expand it.  Of course, I'm on
a budget.

Currently we are on an RS/6000 H70 with an IBM 3581 tape changer.  We have
almost no disk space available for disk storage pools.  The machine is
dedicated to running TSM.

I am considering adding the following

IBM 3583 with two LTO drives, starting out with an 18 tape capacity.  I'm
not too worried about this part of it, correct me if I'm wrong, but I
think this is a known performer.

Exadrive Diamond SCSI -> ATA Storage Array.  This piece of hardware comes
with a 30 day money back guarantee, and a three year warranty.  I can get
2 TB of disk for the price of about 200GB of IBM SCSI disk.  The company
web site is http://www.exadrive.com  Does anybody know anything about this
company, or this specific Storage
Array.    It plan to use it for disk storage pools for our nightly backups
(around 250GB) , which I will move to tape during the day.

-JeffR